Thursday, December 17, 2009

Happy Birthday Melissa!

Just a quick shout out to my favorite sister. Happy Bday...hope it's a great day for you!


Wanted to give everyone an update on my new job. I've officially had a full week so I feel like I have a full grasp on what it's gonna be like. They start all new hires on the mom/baby rotation first. This is taking care of the moms and babies after delivery (or postpartum). It also involves taking care of post surgical patients (usually the gyno patients). After about a month of orientation and working off orientation on the mom/baby side I'll go back on orientation for labor and delivery.


Everyone (well almost everyone) seems pretty nice on my unit. They have all been very welcoming which makes things easier. We have a pretty young group so I've already seen some drama come out that I'm not really interested in getting involved in. Other than that I have a great supervisor and boss. My supervisor's name is Cindy and she reminds me a lot of my night supervisor at St. David's (Lori). I miss you Lori! My shifts have been relatively slow. As I've taken on more responsibility I'm finding a little more enjoyment in my work. It's still a very humbling experience to come back to direct patient care after being away for so long. Just about everyday I find myself in a situation where I wonder if I ever actually went to nursing school! But I keep telling myself that things will come back to me the longer I'm there.


Here's the link to our baby website. I took care of Ethan George, Shelby Lynn, and Thor James. http://www.medcenterone.com/babies/viewlist.asp. I can't check to make sure this link works so if not, and you want to see some of our babies, go to http://www.medcenterone.com/ and search the babies link. Little Rava was in our NICU for 2 months and just got to go home yesterday. I never worked with her but all the nurses were in love with her!


I'm also getting my cold weather tolerance back. Tuesday I had to walk 3 blocks to a class in -13 degree cold. That was cold! And now I'm talking like the rest of the natives here when I say "it's gonna be UP to 20 degrees tomorrow...that'll be nice." I had a really fun class that day. We're required to take a self-defense class so I learned lots of moves to keep myself safe. I highly recommend something like this for everyone. It makes me feel much more empowered.


I guess that's all for now. I have the next four days off (nice!) so I'm gonna go start enjoying them.

1 comment:

  1. Great link to see the babies. That's really neat. Sounds like a good time is being had by all. Don't forget to blog a little about Mr. B. I know he's got stuff you can tattle on!

    Papa

    ReplyDelete