Friday, January 1, 2010

2009 - A Year in Review

I wasn't going to post anything for New Year's because Brian and I kept to our tradition of doing nothing and falling asleep early. But the more I thought about it, I came to realize that I should post about the year we've had in an effort to jog my memory. So here goes and if I miss anything you can buy me a Sudoku book to help with the memory effort!

The beginning of the year is the hardest to remember and it seems like nothing really happened although I'm sure that it did. I was still working for the state inspecting nursing homes, and Brian was still out at the aggregate plant. I'm sure he attempted a few times to do some hunting but found it just wasn't like what he grew up with in the Dakotas.

Late winter, early spring was filled with events for the youth at church. I loved working with mom even though we would on occasion get irritated with one another. It was such a blessing to be a part of those kids' lives even if at times I wanted to strangle them. It was also a time of sadness as the month our baby would have been born passed. It was nice to have the support of our church family to lift us up and pray for us.

As spring came we celebrated with Michael and Sharon with wedding showers and wedding planning. I also started a new job on the other side of the fence working in a nursing home. That was a great challenge at first but I miss seeing the residents everyday.

Early summer saw Michael and Sharon get married. What a great time that was! It was a lot of work on everyone's part but Brian and I had so much fun getting to share that day with our family.

Brian's dad, John, came in from Colorado for a week of hanging out and fishing at the coast. We loved having him down and even took him to Pete's Piano Bar on 6th. That was a lot of fun! I know it meant a lot to Brian to have his dad around.

After Mike and Sharon's wedding, it was on to Melissa's. I was glad she let me be a part of the planning even though most of it was being done from the other side of the country! It was nice to have her home even if it was for only a few days at a time.

In August Brian and I made a visit to Bismarck as part of his birthday and to see Taylor. That visit was very pivotal in our decision to move back. I think being involved in the youth department really helped me see how important it was that we were involved in Taylor's life as much as possible. I don't think I could've understood that without the experience those youth gave me. I know it was also hard for Brian because he knew what kind of sacrifice it would be for me to leave my family. But, the right decision was made and now we are starting a life here in Bismarck that will be full of love and great memories.

After the decision was made to move, everything sort of took on a life of it's own. Brian left for Bismarck a few weeks later while I stayed behind to sell the house. I moved in with mom and dad to help get the house sold sooner and to be closer to them before I moved. I also got to spend more time with my grandparents which was very special for me.

Thanks to Lexy, our realtor, our house sold in record time. That was bittersweet being closer to reuniting with Brian but also closer to leaving my family and friends. Fortunately the timing was perfect that I was able to still be in Texas for Melissa's wedding and Brian made the trip down. That was another great night of enjoying our family and friends we had not seen in a while. I feel our family has been blessed by the addition of Sharon and Steve and we are better off for having them in our lives.

Two weeks later I made the move to Bismarck. Adjusting again was hard, but fortunately my parents were as supportive as they could be which made the transition a little easier. The first time I moved away I think I cried for two years. I'm surprised that this move has been easier, but then again I'm quite a few years older!

Brian was working for a construction company when I moved up. He liked it at first but eventually the grunge work of construction got to him. After I accepted my position at the hospital, I encouraged Brian to quit the job he despised and find something he at least liked. We're currently taking baby steps to purchasing some land we can farm hay on and eventually build a house on and make a horse boarding business on.

We have a lot to be thankful for, and are excited to see what this new year brings us. We are hoping for an addition to the family but that is clearly in God's hands and in His timing. Until then, we continue to enjoy being each other's best friends and watching our beautiful niece grow up. Our canine children keep us laughing everyday and we treasure the time we have with our family and friends here.

To everyone we wish you a very blessed 2010!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for taking the time to do that. Fortunately for you, your young nimble mind can remember stuff like that. You write very well, just like your sister and brother!

    Keep up the good work. Somebody in Texas really likes it.

    Love you,
    Papa

    ReplyDelete