Saturday, February 6, 2010

Ah, winter.

So we all know by now that the groundhog has predicted 6 more weeks of winter. Well, when you live in the north, that's pretty much a given no matter what sees its shadow. And since I haven't posted in a while, I figured this would be a great time to catch up on what's been happening and express what 6 more weeks of winter means to me.

Work:
Has been very busy. Lots of babies being born; some too early though. We had triplets the other day who were a little too anxious to join this world but they are doing quite well for as little as they are. I'm still in my mom/baby phase for a few more weeks before I start labor & delivery. I told Brian today that when/if we have kids we are destined to have very crabby ones because that seems to be all I take care of. I'm pretty well known at work to have babies that are perfect for the other shifts but don't seem to remember how to sleep or eat once I take over. I have, however, discovered the secret which I refer to as the "magic chair." When I'm trying to chart I grab one of my babies that doesn't seem to want to sleep, put them in this little bouncy recliner and start making it bounce with my foot. Stick a pacifier in their mouth and it doesn't take long before they are fast asleep! Beyond that most everyone at work has been exposed to my interesting personality and have come to expect it. I didn't feel well the other night and one of the girls said, "Katie, are you feeling okay? You're not singing!" "Pants on the ground" has been my latest favorite.

Home:
I spend most of my time at home sleeping lately since I've been working nights. I've picked up an extra shift here and there so even if I have the day off I sleep through most of it. Brian's been a big help with the girls during the day so I can sleep. I always tell myself when I'm working that my days off I'll do something but I generally end up talking myself out of those plans pretty quick. I don't think Brian and I have done much in the way of going out since our anniversary. If I'm not sleeping, I'm going through the 10 minute process of putting on some warm pants, snow boots, jacket, hat, gloves, and leashes to take the girls out for the 5 minute bathroom break. I will be so glad when I don't have to go through the whole routine just to let my dogs out. Otherwise the house is slowly coming together. We have a partially finished basement so Brian was thinking about tackling one of the bedrooms for when people come to visit (hint, hint!).

Brian:
Is still looking for a job. He's been interviewing for a general manager position at Applebee's but isn't completely sold on the idea of going back into management, especially at that level. Plus he'd have to go to Fargo for 10 weeks for training and that's been the biggest drawback. He's also applied for a cook's position with Minerva's. It'd be daytime hours Monday through Friday so even though he wouldn't be making as much, he'd have a much better schedule. He's also joined an archery league which seems to have gotten him back into the swing of bow hunting. It sounds like he's meeting some nice people who have common interests so he looks forward to going each week. I'd like to go watch some night but it's on Wednesdays and that generally falls right in the middle of my work week. Other than that he's been working on making arrows and getting our garage cleaned out for his shop.

The Girls:
They are enjoying the recent snow we got. I wish we could get them out more but the weather hasn't exactly been cooperating lately. They are glad to have carpet in the house again so they can actually get traction and play without slip-sliding everywhere. Ginger has discovered the bed in the spare room upstairs and we always laugh when we come home and hear her jump down and come out of the room. Maggie's just happy with her spot underneath the dining room table, or the doorway. It depends on if she's hot or cold!

I guess that's about all I have to update on. I've been trying for a month to get down to Aberdeen but I seem to always pick the weekend we're having snow storms. I think I might have to give up until the spring but we'll see. I'm looking forward to going home in June and making the rounds to visit everyone. Brian'll stay behind for that visit but we are planning on driving home for Christmas and bringing the dogs with us. Hope all is well with you guys. We miss you!!

1 comment:

  1. Love your updates kiddo. Please keep it up. We miss y'all a bunch.

    ReplyDelete